23 May 2009

Waving Goodbye

Saw Nine Inch Nails in Mountain View last night, at the Shoreline Amphitheater. My first concert, by the way, and it was pretty cool.
Got there early, while Street Sweeper was still playing. Boots is a good rapper, but Tom Morello tries to steal the show from him with his "fight the power"bullshit. I fucking hate Rage Against The Machine and their stupid "we're gonna stick it to the man and change the world" crap. They obviously have no clue how this kind of thing works.
Anyway. NIN started late, at maybe 7:20, and it was pretty good up until 8pm, when it got REALLY GOOD, because full dark had set in the and light show was pretty awesome. I was pretty much blind by the end of the show at 9:45. Notables included "Head Like a Hole," "The Hand That Feeds," "Disicpline," and I went nuts over "Survivalism". The last sing was "Hurt"... and it was especailly poignant, knowing that this is Trent's last tour with NIN. He'll still be producing, but no longer actually going on stage with them after this. So, when the last part of "Hurt" started-- 'If I could start again, a million miles away' -- Everything got really quiet, because I think everybody was remembering how much of his life Trent has given to NIN, how long he's been doing this, and how tired he must be, sometimes. And then the next part-- "I would keep myself... I would find a way..." -- And the guitar cuts in, loud and awesome, and the lights all snap on, and everybody was cheering like there was no tomorrow. Trent steps up, bows, and says "Thank you." And then he walks off, followed by everyone else. The guitar feedback keeps going until the mixer cuts it off, and bam, that's the end of the show.
Truly epic, an amazing ending. Simple, yet fitting.